Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

Awards for Cinematic Excellence: 2023/2024 Oregon Road Film Challenge

Filmmakers Triumph as Awards Showcase Talent and Dedication

The Oregon Road Film Series (ORFS) Film Challenge came to a finale on May 1st with an awards ceremony to celebrate the achievements of talented filmmakers who embarked on a creative journey from October 13 2023 through October 15, and March 15 through March 17, 2024.

Audiences eagerly awaited in College Hall for the unveiling of winners, each film a testament to the ingenuity and dedication of its creators. From gripping narratives to breathtaking visuals, the films showcased a diverse array of storytelling styles and artistic visions.

Hailey Creps, a member of the Cheesy Productions team, reflected on the challenge, highlighting the collaborative spirit that fueled the filmmaking process. “I think everyone was able to bring their creative ideas to their respective films, and they all came together remarkably well,” she remarked.

With tight deadlines and unforeseen obstacles, filmmakers pushed the boundaries of creativity and innovation. As anticipation mounted for the awards ceremony, the participants excitement grew with each nominee waiting in hope of winning.

The three awards presented were the People’s Choice Award, the Judges Vote Award, and the Merritt Award. The winners are below:

• Peoples Choice Award: Murder at 7:18, produced by Logan Mowery, Andrew Brunner, Cole Perry, Mason Steyer, Caleb Berta, and Peter Dabish.
  • Judges Vote Award: Slushie The Musical, produced by Eric Bragg, Russell Gronbach, Hailey Creps, Justin Donaldson, Adam Maenle, Gabe Syverson, and Brayden Mass.
  • Merritt Award: Also awarded to Slushie The Musical.
Theminutemen receiving the People’s Choice Award.
Cheesy Productions Team receiving the Merritt Award.
Cheesy Productions receiving the Best Film Award.

The ceremony celebrated the filmmakers’ achievements and the diverse storytelling showcased in their films.

Get ready for another wave of creativity and adventure! The ORFS Film Challenge returns in Fall 2024, from October 11 to October 13. Teams will have 48-50 hours to create an 8-minute film based on a specific theme.

Join us for the kickoff meeting on October 11 at noon in the Toledo-area campus Library conference room, CH 170.

Find more information at this link.

For inquiries or team formation assistance, contact Jen Hazel at [email protected] or Rob Thomas at [email protected].

Get ready for another cinematic adventure this fall!