Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

A day of music, art and celebration at Express Fest

Lights, Camera, Action

Reflecting on the Oregon Road Film Challenge
Jerrie Conner
Audience members view “Slushie” during the ORFS Film Challenge screening, Wednesday, March 20 in College Hall room 100. Seated in the auditorium’s front row are (left to right) Owens OutComm Media writer Kevin Teran, and Cheesy Production team members Justin Donaldson, Russell Gronbach, and Hailey Creps.

Wednesday, March 20th, conversation filled the College Hall, room 100 auditorium.  People were talking about the creativity and teamwork that took place during the recently wrapped Oregon Road Film Series (ORFS) Film Challenge. Filmmaking teams dove into a non-stop, whirlwind adventure from March 15 through March 17, 2024, racing against time to craft short films on specific themes.

“I think everyone was able to bring their creative ideas to their respective films and they all came together well,” reflected Cheesy Productions team member Hailey Creps.

At the Film Challenge kickoff meeting held Friday, March 15, teams gathered with excitement to discover the specific elements to include in their films, such as line of dialogue, character, location, prop and genre. Each team was ready to embark upon their cinematic creative voyage. “We were excited to see what everyone thought of our film at the screening,” said Creps.

Amidst the ups and downs, filmmakers poured their hearts into their work. “The biggest hardship that we faced was getting the filming completed before Sunday so that our editor would have enough time to edit,” shared Creps.

Anticipation grew as the Spring 2024 Film Challenge film screening approached. “My team is very proud of our film and what we were able to create in the time we had,” remarked Creps.

Now that the event has concluded, the legacy of the Oregon Road Film Series Film Challenge endures. The creative works of the participating teams can be viewed on the OutCommPlus YouTube channel. Or vote in the People’s Choice for your favorite film with the QR code.

Use the QR code for the People’s Choice award. Vote for your favorite film created for the 2023-2024 Oregon Road Film Series Film Challenge.

The Oregon Road Film Series Film Challenge is a testament to creativity, teamwork, and the magic of cinema, demonstrating the endless creative possibilities when passion and collaboration meet perseverance.