Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

July 23, 2024
July 2, 2024

Annette Fink leads artistic Renaissance at Owens Community College

Local artist collaborates with students to transform campus

Owens Community College is embarking on an exciting new project aimed at transforming the campus landscape into a vibrant tapestry of art and community spirit. Spearheaded by local artist Annette Fink, the initiative will see the creation of a stunning ceramic mural on the cement barriers surrounding the courtyard of the Center for Fine and Performing Arts (CFPA). This collaborative endeavor seeks to beautify the space and foster a sense of connection and creativity within the Owens community and beyond.

Owens Community College Summer 2024 Artist in Residence Annette Fink and Owens Ceramics class have a Glazing Party showing the pieces laid out before they’re fired.

Annette Fink, a prominent artist known for her captivating ceramic work, has been selected as the Artist in Residence at Owens Community College for the summer of 2024 from a grant awarded by the Ohio Arts Council. With over 35 years of experience as an artist in the Toledo area, Fink brings a wealth of talent and expertise to the project. She will lead the charge bringing this vision to life by creating a weather-resistant ceramic sculptural mural , enriching the campus with her unique artistic flair.

In conjunction with Fink’s residency, students from Owens Community College, particularly those enrolled in the beginning ceramics class, are independently involved in the project. Fink is not  teaching ceramic classes, however Owens students are actively contributing to the mural by honing their skills through hands-on workshops and glazing classes. Their individual ceramic pieces will be incorporated into the final artwork, showcasing the collaborative effort between the artist and the students. Each session serves as a stepping stone towards the realization of the mural, with the collective efforts of all involved enhancing the beauty and depth of the final artwork.

The project is about creating a work of art, as well as fostering a sense of ownership and pride within the Owens community. “This mural is for the community – students, faculty, staff, and members of the surrounding community,” explains Shelby Stoots, the Organizer for the Mural Project.

With a goal to unveil the completed mural by fall 2024, excitement is building on campus as anticipation mounts for the project’s completion. The courtyard by the CFPA will soon be transformed into a vibrant hub of artistic expression, serving as a testament to the transformative power of community-driven initiatives. As Owens Community College continues to champion the arts and culture within its walls, the mural stands as a beacon of creativity, unity, and inclusivity for all who view it.