Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

Owens OutComm Student Media

A day of music, art and celebration at Express Fest

Investigating the Indigenous American Experience

Big Read topics explored through film
Promotional+poster.
Promotional poster.

The Owens Community College Oregon Film Series presents Wind River, Wednesday, February 21 at 11 am. 

The story follows the investigation of an indigenous woman whose body is found in the snow east of Boulder flats near the Wind River Indian Reservation and the dark truth behind her murder. The film is rated R for scenes that may affect victims of sexual assault. 

Raising awareness about the indigenous American experience is the topic of this year’s Big Read. Wind River carries these themes of indigenous people’s mistreatment and silent disappearances. This year’s Big Read Carry: A Memoir of Survival on Stolen Land by Toni Jenson also explores similar issues that are not at the forefront of conversation. 

The featured film Wind River is centered around indigenous people’s mistreatment and silent disappearances. The epidemic of cultural blindness has plagued America for centuries. Bringing more depth to history not taught in schools is of utmost importance.

After the film, discussion will take place with STEM Advisor, Janice Skaggs, who is of indigenous heritage. 

The film screening and discussion will be held in College Hall, room 100. If you would like to participate but cannot attend in person, the discussion will be livestreamed with Professor Jodi Gore. Find the link for both the discussion and film on the Owens.edu website by searching Oregon Road Film Series.