OCCR participates in World College Radio Day

Herbey+Atkinson%2C+OCCR+station+manager+broadcasts+live.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Herbey Atkinson, OCCR station manager broadcasts live.

Photo by Mya Polsdorfer

Photo by Mya Polsdorfer

Photo by Mya Polsdorfer

By Sarah Miller, Writer

Students were rocking out in the rotunda today to celebrate “World College Radio Day.”  Live from the Center for the Performing Arts, Owens Community College joined forces with 485 college radio stations across the United States and the world to highlight college radio. 

The normally quiet lobby transformed into a lively scene, “We’re broadcasting live, hanging out till 2 o’clock today,” boomed Herbey Atkinson, of Owen’s Outcast radio station. Atkinson, a recent graduate of Owens Community College, now serves as OCCR (Owens Community College Radio) station manager. “I used to do factory work, dye molds,” Atkinson said, “and I came to Owens as a non-traditional student to learn media and radio. This is my job now, it’s just fun!” 

Owens’ media students explored first-hand how fun working in the entertainment industry can be. Students battled it out at a Guitar Hero Station, took fun radio pictures for social media, and participated in a live radio broadcast. Freshman Anthony Drayton says, “I think it’s pretty cool—here we are trying new things—a radio remote, gaming and photo.”

Drayton is also working on hosting his own trends’ show for OCCR, “New doors are opening, new possibilities. I’m absolutely looking forward to it. ” 

“World College Radio Day” also gave students a chance to talk about job opportunities in the broadcast media field. 

“This is so much more than what I expected,” agrees Hannah Ernsthausen, a BMT (broadcast media technology) major. “It’s only my first semester, and our professor, Rob Thomas, has been allowing us to do hands-on projects for Outcomm.” 

Ersthausen plans to use her Owens’ degree to highlight her work as a missionary. “I’ve been all over the world,” Ernsthausen says, “broadcast media technology is going to be a great platform to share a lot of the things I do as a missionary.” 

With laughter, music and fun in the rotunda, many Owens’ students and staff joined in celebrating “World College Radio Day”—some getting their first sample of programming and opportunities at OCCR (Owens Community College Radio). 

Devin Merritt, BMT major, summed it up with a smile. “Expressing yourself, putting yourself out there. There are things that you can only do on college radio.”