Making a difference through the food pantry

Food Pantry located at Owens Community College in College Hall.

By Megan Mossing, Photojournalist

The staff of the Owens Community College Food Pantry is dedicated to helping students find a way not only here at school, but also in life.

Whether that help is offering food for their household or finding a way to help pay utility bills, the Center for Campus and Community Connections is here for them.

The food pantry, located in College Hall, initially started as a community garden in 2011. That grew so fast and had such an amazing response that Owens decided to open a food pantry for their students in 2012. That one decision has made a huge impact on so many!

I believe the food pantry is one of the most effective ways to be able to reach out to those who are in need, me being one of those people. As college students we understand the struggles of day-to-day life. One of the struggles I have encountered time and again while being a parent and student is not having enough food to prepare proper meals, not only for myself but for my family.

The food pantry is stocked with plenty of items that will fulfill many needs. Food options range from canned fruits and vegetables and canned soups and ravioli, to boxed items like different pastas, rice, mac and cheese, pop tarts, different cereals and more.

The personal hygiene options offered, include deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush and toothpaste, shave cream and razors, laundry detergent, dish soap, toilet paper, paper towels and other cleaning supplies. They also try to keep feminine products in stock.

They have a nice selection of frozen items. The selection of all items offered changes daily since they are stocked by donations.

Don’t let the name fool you! The food pantry is not just for food. They also offer a giving tree for the holidays, and other life options like career clothing, ties, footwear, jewelry, belts, scarves and more. They have branched part of the facility out to make the career closet.

The career closet is put into place not only for those who have an interview coming up and are in need for proper attire to get that one job, but for someone who just needs something to wear. There are Owens civic ambassadors that work at the food pantry and can help with picking the perfect outfit out that fits you

The food pantry has came very far since the first time I started going. They have moved into a bigger, more convenient space as they recognize and acknowledge the needs of their students.

This is why I encourage people to donate, and anyone can donate! Donation drop off location is at the office of The Center for Campus and Community Connections in College Hall Room 155. You can also drop off donated items at the food pantry on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.

All students are eligible for services in the Food Pantry and Career Closet and need only to present a valid student ID. The pantry/career closet will be open each week on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and by appointment.