Half a decade later

The+Jaguar+Grill+located+in+the+Fine+Arts+Building+at+Owens+Community+College+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Half a decade later

The Jaguar Grill located in the Fine Arts Building at Owens Community College

By Megan Mossing, Photojournalist

The Jaguar Grill is back open for business as the Rossford students come into play. It has been almost half a decade since they were last up and running!

The Jaguar Grill is located next to the athletic facilities in the SHAC, between the Performing Arts side of the building and the library/science side.

Not many of you know, which I was one of them, that the lovely ladies that work the Jaguar Grill are the staff from Rossford High School. Patty Welch is the head cook and April Swope is her assistant.

The Jaguar Grill offers breakfast to Rossford students between the time of 7 a.m. until 7:45 a.m. Although breakfast is offered from the Jaguar Grill, it is not served at the Jaguar Grill, meaning Welch preps a food cart full of breakfast options and wheels it down the hall to the Rossford students before they start their day.

In order to be prepared for lunch time at the Grill, Welch and Swope start prepping the food two hours in advance. Welch then walks through the Grill to make sure everything they have prepared is placed in the correct areas for students and staff.

There are separate times in which the Rossford High School students and the Owens students and staff are served. The reason for this is for security purposes. Rossford students have two lunch times: First lunch time is from 11:10 a.m. until 11:40 a.m., and the second lunch starts at 12:25 p.m. and ends at 12:55 p.m.

The day I interviewed Welch and Swope, Philly steak and cheese sandwiches were one of the many items on the lunch menu. In order to fulfill the needs of their customers, it took 10 pounds of shredded steak and 2 large economy size bags of cheese. This made for a total of 96 Philly steak and cheese sandwiches.

Owens Jaguar Grill serves around 175 to 200 students and staff each day. The food is always prepped and cooked fresh daily.

There are specific guidelines that Welch and Swope must follow to ensure the food meets certain standards, and they do a fantastic job keeping up with the daily work load to help feed the students.