MENU

The Networking Fair takes the stage!

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Networking Fair takes the stage!

Booths are set up to highlight different activities during the Networking Fair at Owens Community College on Thursday. (Photos by Camryn Weiner)

By Mariah Vandenk, Journalist

This was not your average networking fair.

During the Networking Fair on March 7 at Owens Community College, it gave students an opportunity to listen to guest speakers talk about everything in the arts, ranging from music to acrobatics.

When you first walk in, there were various tables for schools and programs that you could choose to interact with.

There were also speakers, and Mike Scott was the first. He talked about turning your passion into a business by treating your art like one.

“Believing you can do anything you want and working hard, spending days and nights on what you love to make it a career,” Scott stated.

Another speaker was Nick Corbin, a filmmaker in Toledo Ohio, who is currently working on comedy and horror films. He also works with documentaries including his most recent film, Reclaiming Space,a film about the art of downtown Toledo.

The Owens Community College radio station, OCCR, was also represented, as DJ Drew Scott, educated students on the program and what they offered.

There were different 30-minute sessions located in various classrooms throughout the art building, giving tips on career paths. These included business hacks, and bettering your social media and portfolio.

Acrobalance with Veronica Brumbaugh focused on helping people use techniques to balance their bodies. This activity was about having complete trust in your partner. The first exercise involved three people, one person being a spotter, another holding their leg and thigh while they leaned out and held the pose.

Anyone who attended the Networking fair had lots of opportunities to meet a range of different people to help them better their college choices and career paths.

As you can tell, this was far from your boring, regular networking fair. It was full of fun activities, prizes, and mini sessions. It had so much to offer, and many students were able to benefit from it.

As you receive an abundance of inspiration maybe you can even push yourself to do what you love.