A Look Inside, “She Kills Monsters” play

Reagen+Moloney%2C+left+and+Mckensie+Binau+join+hands+before+their+death+scene+in+the+Owens+production+of+%22She+Kills+Monsters%22+at+the+Owens+Community+College+Dance+studio+on+Wednesday+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Reagen Moloney, left and Mckensie Binau join hands before their death scene in the Owens production of

Reagen Moloney, left and Mckensie Binau join hands before their death scene in the Owens production of "She Kills Monsters" at the Owens Community College Dance studio on Wednesday

By Claire Baker, Editor

“She Kills Monsters,” directed by Heath Huber, is an “adult audience, not appropriate for work comedy.” However, it is also a “sincere, hilarious, real-life-based” production as stated by Michaela Kruzel, who plays “Farrah.”

The wonderful thing about theater is you become a family. You grow with your castmates and create a certain bond and trust with these people. You can tell how these actors have already grown together just by watching them. Several times throughout rehearsals they cracked jokes, and shared many laughs. It is always a joy seeing people from different backgrounds share something so beautiful.

This story is about a girl, Agnes, who lives a “normal” life and wishes things were different. She loses her parents and her sisters, and two years later she finds a game module that happens to be a “Dungeons and Dragons.” This leads her on a crazy journey through the game, and as she meets new people, such as Tilly, the Dungeon Master, and many new kinds of monster, she becomes stronger and more confident in herself.

This is an action packed production, where actors are learning how to safely complete these moves without injuring themselves, with the help of fight choreographer Chloe Stevenson.

I had the opportunity to talk to a few actors and get their intake on this production. Isaiah Zapata, who plays Chuck Biggs, the Dungeon Master, says that his favorite part of being on the stage is the “improv, as well as the research that goes into it. You are taking words, and giving life and emotion into them.”

Zapata was originally a medical student but switched his major over to theater concentration. He explains “She Kills Monsters” as a coming-of- age production.

I also talked to Josh Sobczak, who is in the “Monster Ensemble.” He describes backstage life as “one, big happy family.” He said that in theater you are able to trust and meet new people.

Kruzel, is a pre-dental hygiene major. She says that theater allows her to live a double life; it is where she has fun and is able to be herself.

“No matter what your business life is like, the theater world is so accepting,” Kruzel said.

Watching this cast perform and rehearse, you can tell they have become friends.

Make sure to go see the show at the Owens Community College MainStage Theatre at the Center for Fine and Performing Arts April 11- 14.