MENU

Owens volleyball team is national champion

Owens+volleyball+Head+Coach+Sonny+Lewis+stands+with+his+team+and+their+National+Junior+College+Athletic+Association+championship+trophy+at+Owens+Community+College.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Owens volleyball Head Coach Sonny Lewis stands with his team and their National Junior College Athletic Association championship trophy at Owens Community College.

By Eben Corron, Outlook Sports Editor

Owens has won Nationals!

For the second year in a row, the Owens Community College women’s volleyball team entered post-season play with a No. 1 national ranking in the Division III National Junior College Athletic Association polls, making school history once again.

After an undefeated regular season last year, which ended in disappointment with their only loss coming in the national championship match, the Express made a strong run through the playoffs to bring a championship title to Northwest Ohio.

Summer Sweeting leaps for an acrobatic serve.

When asked about what a No.1 ranking for the second straight year means to the team and him personally, assistant coach Dennis Caldwell said, “We practice and train every day for our goal of a red banner, which is to win the national championship. That is how we end practice, with a red banner huddle cheer, and everyone gets a high-five from the coaches.

“Two years ago we were third, and last year we were second. This is our year!” Caldwell exclaimed before the finals match of the 2018 NJCAA DIII Volleyball Championship at Rochester, Mn. Nov. 10, closing out the 2018 championship season with an overall record of 40-6

The Express finished the regular season with an overall record of 33-6, and went undefeated in their conference with a record of 16-0. Three of their losses came against Division I teams, and the

Owen’s Kayla Bekier, left, and Michaela Eisenhauer block a Sinclair

other three losses came against Division II teams.

In a podcast interview for The Voices of Storytelling on OCCR (Owens Community College Radio), head coach Sonny Lewis was asked why they schedule matches with schools in higher divisions.

“We didn’t change our schedule to make it easier, because we’re Division III,”  Lewis explained. “We’re just working hard to get better after every match so that at the end of the year we’re playing the best we can.”

This group of young women has proven to be very motivated, and they are dangerously good. Lead by sophomore captains Michaela Eisenhauer, Summer Sweeting and Kennedy Ames, the Express are hoping to accept nothing less than a championship this year.

About the Contributor
Eben Corron, Sports Editor

As a high school graduate, like so many others, I was clueless when it came to what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Broadcasting and journalism...