MENU

Cash Your Investment– if you’re a business major, anyway

By Nate Meinka, Campus Life Editor

I’m sure I can speak for a great mass of people when I say that the path to your dream job seems an arcane and shrouded one. From the time we’re young we start having career ideas which we then iron out in high school and college. It’s not as simple as A to B. There’s no clear steps in the journey towards ultimate career enlightenment. Few of us have a definitive plan to get there. As an undergrad college student, my own plan consists largely of just hoping all the pieces fall together correctly.

I’ve recently been granted the opportunity to read a book, by S.A. Eberwein, titled Cash Your Investment. It’s a self-help guide to bridge that gap between college and scoring that dream job you may have thought was out of reach. Eberwein has a wealth of experience with this as it turns out, managing to yank an investment banking job out from the heavens when he was just out of college.

Cash Your Investment is his first book, but from the get-go you’d never guess it to be. His writing is impeccable and his vocabulary even more so. He seems to be a master of the craft of job-catching and offers up some great advice.

Each chapter details a different key strategy in finding a job– interviewing skills, job searching tools, resume building techniques and more. Between his paragraphs of advice he provides real world anecdotes of his experiences or somebody he knows, which I personally find to be the most helpful.

Here’s my issue though, Eberwein seems to have vast experience in the white-collar corporate world of New York City, particularly in banking, stocks and investments. The problem is, because he’s writing from his own experience and knowledge, his advice all stems from this field. If I had a friend who was interested in breaking into the elite world of NYC banking, I would purchase a copy of Cash Your Investment for him or her. As a handbook for making it in that world, it seems invaluable. However, it might be a bit limited when applied to a separate atmosphere. I don’t exactly see a software engineer or graphics artist breaking into their career using Eberwein’s methods.

There are definitely valuable things to take away even if you’re not interested in being a corporate head honcho– pieces of advice that will help launch you to whatever position you’re looking for. Finding these might be a chore though. Like I said, this book’s content seems geared towards a certain white-collar world, and if you’re not interested in that, many of the enormous paragraphs concerning the behavior of New York firms can get a little dry and begin to blur.

I think a re-branding is in order to get the proper audience reading this material. Most who majoring in the humanities major typically won’t find maximum value in Cash Your Investment. My actor friends would fall asleep reading it. But my accountant friends would melt between its words! I would only recommend picking this little beauty up depending on what you’re majoring in and hoping for. Cash Your Investment is titled and labeled pretty generically, but in my opinion, it’s not for everybody.

About the Writer
Nate Meinka, Campus Life Editor

I'm a long time writer only recently engaged with journalism and photography. Hailing from Toledo, I have attended Owens Community College for nearly three...