MENU

Unwelcome Gifts

By Joslyn Reisinger, Columnist

Director Joel Edgerton has been writing, producing, acting, and directing for over 19 years. His latest hit is the mystery movie The Gift. Not only does he brilliantly direct the movie he is a lead character with a very intense role. This psychological thriller film hit the big screen on August 7 and has since brought in over 42 million dollars worldwide.  In it’s first week the film was third in the box office right behind Mission Impossible- Rouge Nation.

STX Entertainment

STX Entertainment

This powerful story is about a married couple Robyn, played by Rebecca Hall, and Simon, played by Jason Bateman, who has just moved back to Simon’s hometown. They soon run into one of Simon’s former classmates, Gordo (Joel Edgerton), and Robyn longs to uncover the history between the two.

As the plot thickens, the situation become more disturbing as Gordo begins to leave gifts for Simon.

Robyn becomes extremely suspicious and through a series of disturbing events and she discovers what really happened between Gordo and her husband, but also who her husband really is. After a final gift from Gordo, Simon finally comprehends the consequences of his actions.

Edgerton’s role in the film as Gordo is completely convincing and creepy all at the same time.  It is extremely impressive that he was able to pull off such an intense role along with directing this very successful film.

Hall was also an wonderful addition to the film, along with a drug issue and emotional burdens Hall shows just how much someone like Gordo could disturb a person psychologically. She does a great job of making her issues feel like your own.

Interestingly enough, there really is no clear villain by the end of the movie. I walked out of the theater trying to figure out who the bad guy was and there just wasn’t a clear choice. This is due to the fact that all three actors brought such strong and believable emotions, positive and negative, that i didn’t really know who to feel sympathy for at the end. I believe it is this quality that makes it such a mind-boggling and intriguing film.

The Gift has most definitely earned the title of American Psychological Mystery/Thriller.