Owens Got Talent

By Yvette Miller, Reporter/ Columnist

Ben Nelson introducing Josh Wilson (left) before taking the stage to play.

Photo by: Lisa Wagoner

On Friday, several Owens students participated and performed in what the student organizers called the OGT, Owens Got Talent. This event was thought of primarily by Music Business Technology student Carlito Avila.

Students who participated as technical assistants or talent were: Blake Cravett (Tech), Megan Jeffries (Tech), Anthony Lannigan (Talent), Marcus McClellen (Tech), Yvette Miller (Talent) Ben Nelson (Talent), Habit Miranda-Torres (Tech,) Cornell Vickers (Talent), Matt Westrick (Tech) and Josh Wilson.

Avila and Lanagan thought of the idea one day based on a class discussion. During the discussion someone mentioned that they had done something similar in high school. Avila, who is also an Honors student, needed a project for his Honors project and he thought that it would be a great idea for his project and that Owens could put one on as well.

IMG_3115_a02

Josh Wilson performs for the crowd.

When asked if the project was difficult Avila said, “It was trip. I did not realize going into it how much would be involved, but it kept me on guard, it kept me on my toes.” He further said that this event helped him to be able to incorporate many of the things he has learned in Music Business I and II in regards to promotion and he feels that it is something that he might have a future in. “From this point on I want to take a lot more marketing classes. I am not bad with it right now, but some things caught me off guard and I want to be more prepared.” Although Avila is himself an accomplished musician (guitar, bass, drums), he opted to sit this event out and focus on staying behind the scenes. Instead Lanagan, Nelson, Wilson and Miller showcased their talents for a generous crowd of family, friends and fellow students in the rotunda of the Center for Fine and Performing Arts. The event started at 2 p.m. and lasted about 90 minutes. The crowd and the performers all seemed to enjoy themselves tremendously.

In addition to the concert, a bake sale was held by the MIT department with all funds being donated to the Race for the Cure foundation.

Avila considers the event a great success. He is grateful for all of the students that participated, and the faculty that assisted: Denise Grupp- Verbon, Jeremy Meier, Chris Stoll, and Robert Ticherich. He is also grateful for the support of department chair, Michael Sander. Also, he extends thanks to the Cameron Family, the Helle Family, the MIT program and Owens Honor Society.

His one thing that he hopes will come from this is that in the future the Music Business Technology students will be able to have more faculty and student involvement and also that the event will be included in the regular lineup of offerings from the Fine and Performing Arts Department.

IMG_3118_a03

The crowd of family, friends and fellow students in the rotunda of the Center for Fine and Performing Arts.

Photo by: Lisa Wagoner