Grant for Fine and Performing Arts programs

By Amy Bockey, Reporter

According to the Owens Community College Mosaics website, the Fine and Performing Arts Department has been awarded $55,000 in Perkins Grants to support four new projects that will serve to enhance program growth and material presentations.

When asked how do the departments decide how much money they receive, Michael Sander, Chair of the Fine and Performing Arts Department said, “The college decides after review of applicants which requests meet the Perkins qualifications and levels of funding are then given.”

New monitors were installed to help students in the music tech labs.

Photo by: Katie Buzdor

Ruth Foote Professor of Photography said, “These types of grants are designed to help different programs grow with technology so that they can keep up with different industry standards.”

A $9,000 grant was awarded to a proposal submitted by Sander, in collaboration with Holly Barber, Instructional Designer in the E-Learning Office to upgrade video production.

Another proposal submitted by Chairman Michael Sander and Ruth Foote, was awarded $11,973 to implement tablet technology in the digital photography program.

“One of the grants were giving to our photography program so that we could grow the digital side of our program and our goal is to add tools that can help students keep up with the changing industry”, said Foote

A third project was awarded $16,800 to introduce digital art technology into the Commercial Art Degree, which will allow for the addition of digital painting and drawing, as well as digital storyboarding for the Fine Arts and the Commercial Arts students. This project was proposed again by Chairman Sander, with Kevin Schroeder, Professor of Art, and Luke Ellison, Adjunct Instructor of Art.

The final project, submitted by Chairman Sander, Robert Ticherich, Instructor of Music Business Technology, and Richard Clever, Technical Director, received $17,500 in grants in order to bring in new classroom video presentation capabilities in the Music Technology labs and for the upgrading of the theatre main mixer to digital format.

The four projects will provide a more enhanced and up-to-date Fine and Performing Arts Program. They will maintain the outstanding reputation of Owens in the Fine and Performing Arts by allowing students the most current educational experience in their fields.