MENU

Lady Gaga wows the Oscars

By Yvette Miller, Writer/ Columnist

Pop star Lady Gaga wowed the entertainment industry at the 2015 Academy Awards ® celebration. Surprising all but her most devoted fans, Gaga’s medley of songs from the Sound of Music was amazing. There was no meat dress and no elaborate stage set, but a full orchestra and the “Lady” in a beautiful white sleeveless evening gown designed by none other than Azzedine Alaïa, who has also created pieces for Madonna and First Lady Michelle Obama.

Celebrity VH1

Celebrity VH1

The “Born this Way” singer showed everyone that she is more than just your average pop star. Her dulcet tone resonated throughout the theater and was sweet in the ears of all who heard her. Many wonder where she has been hiding this other dimension of herself as it was a welcome surprise. Her performance brought the crowd to its feet with sustained applause and even garnered a hug from “Maria” herself, Julie Andrews.

One interesting aspect of her appearance was that in spite of being surrounded by black ties, cummerbunds, and elegant gowns, the Lady was still herself sporting a tattoo on each of her arms. What a bold statement to make about being confident enough in yourself to be yourself, even in a crowd of people that you do not necessarily spend a lot of time around.

I think what surprised so many is that unlike some singers who rely heavily on auto tune, Lady Gaga can actually sing! She is a true artist and not just an entertainer. It appears that her “out there” performance art has overshadowed her truly captivating voice.

If there was any doubt about the depth of her ability, Lady Gaga has silenced her naysayers. Her true fans already knew that she is multi-dimensional. For the rest of us, we can now listen a little closer. We finally heard a voice worth listening to among the auto tuned chorus of singers plaguing our music steams.

About the Writer
Yvette Miller, Reporter/ Columnist

Yvette Miller is a vocalist, musician, and a songwriter. She is a first year Owens student working towards her degree in Music Business Technology. She...