Seeing red at the Owens blood drive

By Kiki Draper, Reporter

Renee Johnson, left, transfers blood to a tube for testing after starting a blood draw on student Spenser Haines.

Photo by: Sean Ferry

About two dozen donors potentially saved lives at the Owens Community College blood drive this week by donating 21 units of blood.

The American Red Cross can still save lives with just a single donor, according to Jessica Garner, a collection tech who was at the blood drive in the Student Health & Activities Center (SHAC).

“Just one person giving blood can save three peoples lives,” Garner explained. “The blood can be separated into three parts for the red blood cells, plasma, and the blood in itself.  It is then given to whoever needs it, and every two seconds someone needs blood somewhere.”

American Red Cross account manager Linda Hartman, who was on hand to answer questions, stressed that all blood types are needed, but O negative is the true universal type because it can be given to people with different blood types.

“Local hospitals will need about 300 pints of blood a day, and that 20 percent of all their blood comes mostly from high schools, junior highs and university students,” said Hartman.

The Red Cross is always open to accepting more donors, and they hold the blood drive here usually two to three times a year.  If you want to take part in donating blood, go to www.redcross.org and enter the sponsor code OWENSCCPERRYSBURG to schedule an appointment.

The next blood drive at Owens is April 20 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the SHAC.

Ron Strickler cleans up a donation station after successfully drawing a pint of blood from a donor.

Photo by: Sean Ferry