MENU

Veterans serving veterans

By Janelle Smith, News Editor

Veterans have lunch at a reception held for them on Nov.13 at the Toledo campus.

Veteran day was on Nov. 11 so the Office of Veterans Services held receptions to honor veterans at both the Findlay campus on Nov. 12 and the Toledo campus on Nov. 13. Owens also sponsored veterans night at the Toledo Walleye game on Nov.14 and all veteran faculty, staff and students were given free tickets to the game.

This was the second annual veterans week celebration. Saying second annual doesn’t mean that Owens has not honored veterans in previous years this is just the second year its been structured this way. The reception was non-formal they served lunch, gave out free t-shirts, had raffles, had music playing and a slideshow of pictures and quotes going on the monitors. It was a time for veterans to connect with and support each other.

In years past it had been more formal. According to Yolanda Houle, Veterans Services Advisor, the years Student Government put it on the event they had a speaker and did the flag raising. The first couple years Houle was in charge of it she said it was more like an informational fair. “We find that as veteran students we’d much rather have something like this, something that just shows support,” says Houle.

Houle says that there are about 433 students who are veterans at Owens. About 300 are already using education benefits and around 100 who just identified themselves as veterans on their applications. Unfortunately they do not know the exact number of faculty and staff that are veterans. According to Houle the Office of Veterans Services tries to be a whole service for veterans and their dependents. I they have an economic or medical need, issues with their benefits or any questions the office connects them with resources in the community that can help them. If they have a need or issues in school the office works with them and the school to connect them to resources and resolve any issues.

The Office of Veterans Services is staffed by veterans who are former students of Owens. Houle says that their unofficial office motto is veterans serving veterans.

About the Contributor
Janelle Smith, News Editor

My name is Janelle Smith and I am excited and honored to be the new News Editor for the Owens Outlook this semester. I am currently a communications major...