MENU

A new SG President and the need for better communication

By Sean Ferry, Photo Editor

Chris Giordano runs the Student Government town hall meeting.

Photo by: Sean Ferry

There is big news affecting Student Government. James Ruane has stepped down as president. Vice President Nicholas Calmes  was promoted to fill the void. Calmes will remain in office until regular elections are held again next March.

An election was then held to fill the position of vice president. According to Adren Burkes, there were five nominations with two members accepting. Lisa Adkins and Rodrick Perkins gave speeches covering their platforms. The quorum was just met with five votes cast by Student Government members. Perkins won the majority vote in a close race of three votes to Adkins’ two.

Last Tuesday in College Hall, Dean of Student Life Chris Giordano ran the Student Government’s last town hall meeting of the semester.

The first question asked was if the news of Owens’ impending fiscal watch status would have an effect on funding for student activities. “The money that goes to student activities right now is a portion of tuition that was passed by the board of trustees. That will not change,” said Dr. Betsy Johnson.

The main topic of discussion was the communication breakdown between administration, Student Government and students. “Essentially Student Government is the advocate for the student body,” said Giordano, “What we’re hoping to do is create a much more fluid mechanism for receiving information from students within different schools, different campuses and the learning center.”

Some possible steps to improve information sharing with students that were discussed:

• Once-per-week emails from Student Activities on upcoming events
  • Opt-in SMS and email alerts for events
  • Development of a Student Activity Board of students to determine programing for the year.
  • New centralized web platform for all student activities called OrgSync (planned for January)
  • Professors encouraged to make announcements at the beginning of classes
  • New Ozone portal interface (going live in February) along with a new website design (scheduled for May)

“We’re hoping these changes help you find the information that you want easier,” said Johnson.

“With any type of electronic service you’re going to run the risk of people who get them so frequently that ultimately they just end up opting out or just disregarding the messages,” added Owens police chief John Betori.  “It’s a fine line between how much information people want to get voluntarily and how much they actually take in and use.”

Student Government is starting an initiative to recycle school supplies on campus. Boxes will be placed in various areas to collect old notebooks, pens and the like. Items will be cleaned up and given to future students who may not have the resources to buy proper school supplies.

Anyone interested in applying for a position in Student Government is encouraged to visit the organization’s webpage for more information and applications. Students can also visit the office of Student Government in room 156 of the SHAC.

From left: Adren Burkes, Rodrick Perkins and Joseph Borkowski discuss fundraising ideas at the Student Government meeting in SHAC 156, last Wednesday.

Photo by: Sean Ferry

[contextly_auto_sidebar id=”7Fnnl27ghqmXMQZsCmb7dAmTdHkGKsDB”]

About the Contributor
Sean Ferry, Photo Editor

Sean Ferry is a photographer from Temperance, Michigan with a passion for commercial advertising photography. He is currently studying photojournalism...