Class of the week: Quantity Food Preparation

By Katie Buzdor, Editor-in-Chief

20104-10-10 KEB COTW FNH112

Chef Edward Gozdowski (middle) is showing Brad Pettrey (left) and Jalyssa Kariuki the recipe for the sauce the Quantity Food Preparation class was making. (Photos by Katie Buzdor)

Are you interested in learning how to cook, and do you want to use a brand new kitchen facility?  If so, you might be interested in the Owens Community College class called Quantity Food Preparation in the Culinary Arts.

This class provides instructions on cooking and techniques needed to meet the demands of the professional kitchen.  Students learn the right methods for handling tools, equipment and materials used in food preparation. The class also teaches students sanitation and safety practices for the kitchen. Students develop vital skills in soup, stocks, sauces and other foods.  Quantity Food Preparation also prepares students for a professional kitchen atmosphere.

“We try to introduce a wide variety of techniques and recipes in a fifteen week semester,” said Chef Edward Gozdowski, the class instructor.  “Today the students are preparing to make the five leading or mother sauces that are used in classical cuisine.”

Student Brad Pettrey says he’s learned valuable lessons this semester, like how to make soups, stocks, roux. “Basically how to use the claw method so that you do not chop your finger off,” he added.

There are no prerequisites.  However, two co-requisites are FNH 110 Intro to Culinary Arts and Gastronomy and FNH135 ServSafe.