The Owens Alumni Annual Golf Classic: ‘It’s all for the students’

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Owens Foundation team, left to right Denny Caldwell, Devin Taylor, David Clarke and Josh Williams.

Photo by Amanda Aylwin

Photo by Amanda Aylwin

Photo by Amanda Aylwin

By Amanda Aylwin, Sports Editor

The Owens Alumni Association held its signature fundraiser, the Annual Golf Classic, at Belmont Country Club Monday.

The fundraiser was organized by Laura Moore, Owens Alumni Association executive director.  She said the day is to help raise money for student scholarships to further education. It is estimated that more than $28,500 was raised this year.

The day consisted of a luncheon held for the golfers, a round of golf, then dinner and awards for the teams. Each team is sponsored by a local business, which was then invited to support the Golf Classic by entering a team or becoming a sponsor. This year’s tournament consisted of 28 teams.

The 18th hole was a special hole on the course. Owens Community College president Mike Bower was at the final hole to greet the teams. Bower then haggled with each team in an effort to make more money for the tournament. “It’s all for the students,” Bower tells everyone. “The more money we raise, the more we can put toward our students’ education.” Bower challenged teams to a putting contest and if teams didn’t make their putts in a specified number of strokes, they had to pay; in some cases, $20 per player.

The Owens Foundation Team was made up of four of the schools coaches; Coach Josh Williams (golf), Coach Devin Taylor (baseball), Coach Dave Clarke (basketball) and Coach Denny Caldwell (volleyball). The team finished 3rd overall with a combined 62, 10 under par. The first place team was sponsored by Edward Jones with a combined 60 and second place was Genoa Bank with a combined 62.

There were also two areas where the golfers were challenged; closest to the pin and longest drive. The winners for the men’s closest to the pin was Mike Bilik, and Shelly Lizyness for the women. The longest drive for the men was Owens golf coach Josh Williams, Lisa Kurjan for the women.

The event sponsor was Hylant Family Foundation; the print sponsor was Metzgers; the hospitality sponsor was Ohio logistics/Findlay’s Tall Timbers Distribution Center, Inc.; and the Ad sponsor was the Toledo Free Press.