2013-2014 Sports Recap

By Amanda Aylwin, Sports Editor

The Owens Express athletic teams are getting ready to begin their 2014-2015 fall sports season.
While some of the teams will struggle with the loss of key players, others are waiting to hire new coaches, and the rest will begin where they ended: focused on winning.

Women’s Soccer
The women’s soccer team finished last season with a 17-2-2 record, ranking them 10th in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) JUCO division 1 poll.
“High ranking comes with pressure,” said first-year coach Kenny Hewitt.
They defeated their rival Cincinnati State 2-1 in the Region XII championship game last season. The team was on a 15 game winning streak, which took them to Nationals, when they lost to Darton State.  “We are focused on what is next. As a team we would like to go to the Nationals and do better, but we have to keep our focus on what’s next to get there,” added Hewitt.
This season marks the most wins and highest ranking for the team since the program began, putting them on track to return to Nationals.

Men’s Soccer
The men’s soccer team finished last season with a 15-6-1 record.
The team defeated Muskegon Community College in last season’s semifinals to advance to the Region XII championship game at Xavier University, where they lost 3-0 to Cincinnati State and Technical Community College in the Regional XII championship game. Owens lost two starters which contributed to the loss; leading scorer Jacob Martin picked up a red card, and Ahmad Jarrar was injured in the previous semifinal game.
They finished the season with the highest win total since the 2007 team won 16 games.

Volleyball
The volleyball team (22-21) lost two of three matches in the Region XII tournament as their 2013 came to an end against St Clair County Community College (3-0).
Returning sophomore Ciarra Wirick led the team with 13 assists. In the second set another returning sophomore Jessica Cooper had a team-high of 34 assists.
They lost in the third set even though Stephanie Kipp led the team with 10 kills. She returns this coming season as a sophomore.
They opened their 2014-2015 season this past weekend at the Owens Invitational tournament where they finished 3-3.

Golf
The men’s golf team was ranked No.1 in the country and they finished at No.3 in the country last season.
Coach Josh Williams is a two-time reigning OCCAC and Region XII coach of the year. In the past year Williams guided his team through 21 tournaments, 17 of which they won.
In addition to the victories, Brandon Hoelzer was named the 2013-2014 OCCAC Player of the Year.

Baseball
The men’s baseball team finished 19-26.
Coach Devin Taylor explains, “I feel like we had a great shot at winning it (the conference) until the first weekend of conference play against Sinclair, when we lost our 1, 3, and 4 pitchers to injuries.”
Despite a pair of home runs for Charlie Sipe in the Sinclair game, pitcher Kyle Bennett hit a rough patch and the team’s offense couldn’t pick up the pieces in time for a win.
The season came to an end with a pair of losses to Cuyahoga Community College and Vincennes University. They finished 2nd in the conference last season.

Softball
The women’s softball team started out last season as No. 13 in the NJCAA, but finished 27-9 to win the OCCAC title. However, they fell short in the regional tournament.
“We have all the pieces in place to be able to compete on a national level. It will all depend on how we can gel and become a unit,” said assistant coach Kevin Snyder.
The team is currently ranked No.17 with, “plans to work on team chemistry, and increasing team speed so we can uphold the winning tradition that we currently have in place here at Owens,” said Snyder.

Women’s Basketball
The women’s basketball team finished 26-3, bringing home another OCCAC title by defeating Cuyahoga Community College 86-42.
This season’s returning sophomore Ashley Tunstall picked up the fourth straight double-double of her season with 20 points. Tunstall also had 13 double figure rebounding games last season.
The team has now won back-to-back games and three out of four OCCAC championship games.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team finished 25-6 last season.
They lost in the final second of the Region XII District 11 championship game last season when Cincinnati State sank a jumper to steal the lead for a 79-78 final.